Saturday, August 4, 2018

Dreams, Passions, and the Steppingstones of Life

This week taught me a lot about the importance of staying true to oneself throughout an entrepreneurial journey. Most often those ideas, feelings, or emotions that lead us to pursue an entrepreneurial journey are personal and derive from a dream or some event or lack thereof that comes from a deep core within our lives or the lives of those around us. However, it can be so easy to lose focus of those essential motivations and dreams as the minutia of business development encroaches on the journey. I’m sure in most cases the dream or passion falls off along the way and sight is lost of the end goal. 
I appreciated Randy’s perspective on the story of his folks allowing him to write on his walls growing up. Small and oversimplified but nonetheless a great example of not limiting our dreams and passions or constraining them to fit within the context of what we subscribe life or society to be. Is it okay to write on the walls??? Absolutely not I can hear my mom saying in my mind but sometimes it’s in our ability to flow outside the comfort zone that allows the dreamer to explore and develop the dream. His folks willingness to allow him the freedom to explore his dreams is obviously something that allowed Randy to achieve success.
One childhood dream I had was to marry in the temple. In 1998 that dream came true in the San Diego temple. Never losing sight of that dream from a young age was essential to shaping my life and ultimately achieving the goal.
I don’t know if I would always classify it as dreaming but I believe it is critical to happiness in life to be passionate about something and to pursue that passion. Those dreams or passions give our life meaning and purpose.
In really enjoyed the material this week. The stepping stones reminds me of the study conducted for decades where they took a large group of boys and tracked their lives over decades. As their lives evolved so did their dreams, concerns, and priorities. Ultimately it was family that mattered most on their later years. Everything else came and left but family was the one thing that remained constant and the one thing they wish they had done more with. Good perspective looking forward on the steppingstones for my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment